Losnr. 6047 - 284.-290. Auktion
Danube Steam Navigation Company in Valachia 1844 (Aug 25): Entire letter from Braila to Constantinople struck with circular "D.D.S.G. / IBRAILA / P.P." in bluish black (Tchilinghirian fig. 802). An exceptional strike of this very scarce handstamp on cover from the well-known Zafiropulo correspondence, light horizontal file fold with minor acid ink imperfections not distracting from the appealing appearance of this entire letter, in addition an elusive usage. Signed A. DienarnNote: Tchilinghirian & Stephens mention that this handstamp was probably manufactured in Constantinople for fully prepaid covers with markings existing only for the offices in Constantinople, Galatz, Ibraila and Varna, starting in August 1844. The Lloyd Agency and Consular Office only opened in September 1845 and took over the the deep water services from the DDSG which restricted its services to the Danube and the route to Odessa. This postmark can be found up to 1865, even as an obliterator on DDSG adhesives.rnReference: This cover is mentioned as the first usage of this handstamp known in Tchilinghirian on page 473.rnProvenance: Collection J. P. Steindler, RL, Basel, March 1972, lot 10.
Zuschlag : 10.000 CHF
E-Mail Benachrichtigung für PDF Download